Mrs. Bridges' Pantry - My visit to a british tea shop!

Mrs. Bridges' Pantry is a charming little tea house that can be found in South Woodstock Connecticut. My husband introduced it to me, and Im not sure how he came to find out about it, but it became a favorite place to visit. When we are having one of those days were we feel cooped up but wish to get out, but dont want to do anything to crazy, we take a drive down to Mrs Bridges' Pantry for some tea and lunch.

This place is so cute! it has a small dining area but I've never visitied to find there was no seating. In the warmer weather there is extra seating outside. Its set inside what looks like a small wooden shed with an add-on. Its very quaint, and it makes me think of a grandmothers house lost out in the woods, and tucked back in its own little hiding place.

Aside from there being a small restaurant, its also a kind of small british inspired variety corner store. I particularly like their candy bar selection, as I am originally from Canada, and it seems Canada and England share the same tastes in chocolate bars, such as the Crunchie bar or the Aero Bar. So I can have a small taste of home when I stop in! But seeing all the UK items on the shelves is pretty neat, they even have jars of Vegemite! I will try this someday! 

So lets get into the food first! yes they have scones! As you can see from the above picture, my husband got a cranberry and orange crumpet for his desert, they are traditional English Round Scones served with Devonshire Cream and House Strawberry Jam or Mrs. Bridges’ Lemon Curd. I warn you they are a heavy crumb and very filling! especially if your having them after a meal. But they are delicious! 

We started out with our choice of tea, and they have a HUGE tea list at this place, of all kinds of teas! Check out their Tea Catalogue here.  We chose Passionfruit Papaya Republic of Tea, and it was SO good that I bought some from the tea house side. It was 14.00 dollars for I think 50 bags in a container, that seemed pricey to me, but I like my tea and its wonderful to have this at home when im in the mood, and I dont think im going through it that fast, I can use the same tea bag for about two cups of tea before its no good.


They serve the tea in fancy tea cups and the tea is steeped in a kettle wrapped in a tea cozy, doilies and flowers and small sugar containers with tiny sugar tongs and tiny milk holders, you dont get more cliche English then this!. 



We went on our trip with our good friend Tina, and they gave her the most beautiful tea cup, I had to take a picture just to show my blog viewers how neat it was!


See what im talking about! But now lets get back to the food. Mrs. Bridges' Panty make THE best turkey sandwich I have ever tasted hands down! I highly recommend...  and I mean highly - to try one of their "american" made sandwiches, and especially the Turkey and Brie with Cranberry Mayo American Sandwiche which is served on Foccacia. If you want something a little different then that then try the Roast Beef and Cheddar with Onion Marmalade. The Roast beef is my husbands favorite, and I have tried a bite, its good!

They warm them up and the brie cheese is gooey and just melting and so amazingly awesome in my mouth! and who'd of though to mix cranberries into mayo? That and the cheese and turkey, it all combined into a marriage symphony! Just look at this picture of it!


Its actually quite filling for how it looks. I think they call it 'american' as its considered a large portion in comparison to english meals? This is still smaller then a sandwich id get from say The Cheese Cake Factory, I got a BLT from there once that I took home and it lasted me three days.

After sandwiches it was time for desert, and since the scones are very filling I went with a crumpet. Crumpet The Original “English Muffin” which is Served Toasty Warm with House Strawberry Jam and Devonshire Cream. I must press that these crumpets are not like the kind you'll pick up in an american grocery store, there is something different about these. It was lighter then the scones, but just the right sweetness spreading the cream and jam on top of each other. Id eat this every morning for breakfast if I could. Damn calories. 


They have more treats to choose from, they also have a small display case of other baked goods. Things that are not found on the menu list. I like to take a peak and buy desert out of it sometimes. This visit I came home with my tea and an aero bar. Below are some pictures of the inside of the tea shop and some of the interesting items on the shelves.







I thought this was funny, 'Earl Greyer"? Lol.. I wonder if they have an "Earl Greyer'er or maybe an "Earl Greyest"

This is a picture of the tea I picked up. The same tea we sampled when we sat down for lunch. I love the packaging, when I take it down off the shelf I feel like a rich tea drinking person.



Anyway thats it for this article! I give Mrs. Bridges Pantry a 5/5 stars for a place to visit. If your ever on the east side of Connecticut, stop in and sit down and relax, enjoy a small taste of England. 



Share this article :
 

+ comments + 1 comments

February 7, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Great Information Thanks for Post this Awesome Article
Online Doctors in Delhi

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. iCandy - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger