My skin care regimen - for oily and acne prone skin.

 So, I felt like sharing with my blogger fans my skin care regimen, especially for those of you who are like me and were 'gifted' with oily and or ance prone skin. Acne is a real pain to deal with and it can make a person feel so self conscious and dirty, not to mention it can be painful. I know I hate it and I have spent many years trying to cover it up with heavy foundations and concealers to hide it, but all it really did was keep me aware of it from that masked and caked on feel some makeup can leave you with, especially when trying to hide those imperfections.

I tried many products on the shelves at your typical drug store or supermarket, but nothing really worked as well as id like. It wasn't until I actually discovered Proactiv that I found a kind of "cure" to my skin care woes. I used it for many years, but it can be rather expensive. It was worth it to me for the clear skin, but then I got fed up with Proactiv's customer service and their system of ordering. They are pushy and rude, bombarding and pressuring you into making more purchases when you call on the phone, forcing you to listen to someone ramble off advertisements.  They force you to join their "club" in order to buy directly off the site and they force automatic shipments that cant be turned off. Every time i've had to deal with their website or phone number I have left enraged. Perhaps its a good ploy to take peoples money, as thats what business's are all about, but it was not worth the hassle.

I went to Amazon.com and started to buy my Proactiv from a third party! I didn't have to deal with all the nonsense from the company. However, I came to find that the "secret" to how it all worked was in their Repairing Treatment, which is the third step of the system. It is a benzoyl peroxide lotion with a 2.5% dosage, which is the high dosage you want for acne treatment, it seems to be the primary preventative when used on a regular basis. Most over the shelf acne treatments are not this high a percent in benzoyl peroxide.

Once I came to this conclusion, I wondered if there was a way to cut down my expenses by only using Proactiv's repairing treatment, and using alternative face washes that were easy to purchase and more affordable. With luck my husband found a site called Acne.org which goes over a regimen and offers instructions on how to treat your skin and what products are recommended that are easy to find. Find The Regimen here, step-by-step!

This article post will take you through my particular collection of skin care items, but please read though The Regimen and determine one for yourself if your not sure about mine. Acne.org does have their own line that might be worth looking into, you can find that product here.


So, as you know, I stepped away from the full Proactiv line, and it was time to get a new face wash. The Regimen suggested Looking for a facial cleanser, that uses the words "gentle," "non-overdrying," "for dry, sensitive skin," and similar words alluding to the gentle nature of the cleanser and to use cleanser made specifically for the face. 

Avoid scents, scrubbers, soap and the following ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate Isopropyl Palmitate, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Isostearate, Myristal Myristate, Laureth-4.


I decided on Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser, it followed all the appropriate words and can be found easily at my local wal-mart. You can see the one I get says "oil free" on the front. I checked all the ingredients carefully on the back, its surprising how many cleansers have all the "bad" stuff in it o.O I really like this stuff. It feels gentle on my face and has no offensive scent. It leaves my skin feeling refreshed and clean with no residue.  

  • I use one full pump lathered up and applied to an already splashed moistened face. 
  • Wash with bare hands and very gently rub over face for no more then 10 seconds
  • Splash face with water to rince it away
  • Pat dry with a absorbant soft towel, never scrub with a towel or face cloth, this can just irritated the skin and acne. Let the rest air dry before moving on.


Next I use my facial serum that I purchase from The Balm, Strawberry Nourishing Facial Serum gives a boost of alpha hydroxy acid and helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles and promotes skin firmness.  Serums are good to use as they penetrate the skin better then a typical moisturizer and can get vitamins deeper in the tissue.  

  • Dispence one squirt onto the tips of my fingers. Then I rub my fingers together and start patting it gently over my face, and smoothing it gingerly with my finger tips until it feels absorbed. 



Next comes an important step, the application of benzoyl peroxide lotion by Proactiv. This is the third step of their skin care system. 2.5% benzoyl peroxide.
  • Use a dime size amount on my hand and and spread it over my fingers and apply it gently to my face. Do not rub it us, simply spread it around with your finger tips, taking care to avoid the delicate skin around the eyes. Continue until its mostly all absorbed, the rest I give a few minites to absorb on its own.


Next is the very important eye cream! I use RoC RETINOL CORREXION Eye Cream  It reduced wrinkles and crows feet, but what I love most is that it reduced dark circled and puffiness! I love this product!


  • Allot goes a long way! I used a pin sized or a small dot amount under each eye, dabbed on the skin around and on the outer sides of the eye using the weakest safest finger, the ring finger to gently pat it on until absorbed.


The final stage, facial moisturizer. I always thought that I didn't need this step and for years I never bothered with a moisturizer. My skin was so oily I assumed it woud just make things worse and shiny. Boy was I wrong! Aside from the benzoyl peroxide I feel like this step has drastically improved the over all appearance of my skin. It lessons the red in my face and acts as an over all toner, and it makes my skin feel so healthy. This was the best addition to my routine! I use Neutrogena Moisture Oil Free Formula, Sensitive Skin. 

Avoid: Most oils with the exception of jojoba oil . Thick and greasy moisturizers. Isopropyl Palmitate, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Isostearate, Myristal Myristate, Laureth.


Look for: Moisturizers made specifically for the face. The word "non-comedogenic" on the label. Jojoba oil as an ingredient if possible.

  • One full squirt from the dispenser into my hand, apply it just as I do the benzoyl peroxide, on the tips of my fingers. Not scrubbing in, but simply gently running finger tips over the face until its mostly absorbed.




A facial scrub once a week is ideal to open up any oil blocked pores and to smooth away any dead skin. This is something to be careful with as you dont want to irritate the skin. I like to use it once a week, keeps me feeling clean. This is by far the best exfoliant I have found. The granules in it are so fine that it feels gentle while also feeling like its taking away the bad stuff! I use Vitamin C Facial Cleansing Polish by The Body Shop


  • I use a pea sized ball in on the tips of my fingers and very gingerly run it over my skin. You do not need to put pressure with this product, its fine and abrasive enough to do the job flawlessly. I use for maybe ten seconds and then rince my face and pat dry, then applying all my skin care regimen after.


My favorite spot treatment. The refining mask by Proactiv, another amazing product even though I cant stand the company. This is a kind of clay like facial mask. Its not often that I use it. What I do is use it as on-the-spot treatment. If I have a pimple surfacing I immediately apply a smoothed on dot of this on the affected area and sleep with it over night. I find that it drastically reduces the size and swelling and gets rid of it very quickly. If the pimple is a little on the large size it might take a couple nights, but it definitely keeps it under control. I highly recommend having this on hand!


Finally a lip moisturizer. I use EOS lip balm. I love this lip palm as its a fun shape, and you can moisturize both lips at once! I also recommend a lip balm by The Body Shop, the Hemp Lip Protector.  I usually have a hemp lip balm with me in my bag when ever I leave the house!

And there you have it, my skin care regimen!  I hope you found it helpful, and perhaps give a few of the products a try, or suggest to me some of the things you love in the comments! Id love to hear your thoughts.


Share this article :
 
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. iCandy - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger