New Years Eve 2012 at Carbones Ristorante

For New Years eve of 2012 going into the new year of 2013, my husband made   us and our closest friends reservations at a fancy Italian restaurant called Carbones Ristorante in Hartford Connecticut, its been around and family owned since 1938 according to their website. We have been here once before and we loved it! Its definitely a place that you want to save up to go to, between the two of us, appetizers and entrees, it was just over a one hundred dollar bill, but we did splurge more then usual. Hey, it was New Years celebration!  and we had allot to celebrate from the past year, and more to come in the new year! 

Of course we all dressed up nice, I put on my new fancy trench jacket I got from Banana Republic this year, along with my awesome new white scarf and french knitted hat! sooo cute! It was below freezing so when we got seated I was still pretty chilled, the waitress came over asked for our orders, and the night started out interesting much to my amusement and slight embarrassment.

Everyone but me ordered these martinis, I of course being the overgrown child I can be, asked what they have for warm drinks, and if they have anything like hot chocolate? I looked a few times, this is NOT an item on the menu, at least not when I last went there. The waitress seemed a little taken back at first, not in any rude or snobby way, but it made me feel a little silly. But she said they were pretty sure they could make me one, and this is what they brought to me! It tasted like home made hot cocoa! I hope it was, because I was so impressed with its taste and presentation id be upset if it came from a packet hehe. I was topped with what seemed like house made whipped cream and delivered with a dainty little straw! I was super impressed they made me what I wanted, even though I made no fuss! They double checked part way into my drink to make sure I liked it. I was a good way to start the evening and made me feel like high priority :)


The meals are started off there with complimentary bread and bread sticks that are shared. Both are good  but I am parcial to the smaller loafs. The bread sticks have a kind of mild lickerish taste, and I do not like that flavor. It might have been an almond extra or more likely anis seed. The breads are served with a small dish of dressing which reminds me of a savory italian salad dressing but a bit thicker like a diluted jelly. It was tasty  but I might have preferred butter. Im sure if I asked they would have gladly brought some to the table.

 

My man and I decided to go all out and try two appetizers, and we were not disappointed. First was the  Carbone’s Bruschetta,vine ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and prosciutto di parma. It tasted all very fresh and light, the basil as well, which is nice when out of season this time of year. You can enjoy all the ingredients for what they are.


Next was Chicken Lacava, crispy bacon wrapped chicken and hot stuffed cherry pepper skewers. When this was placed infront of us, it smelled just like general tso's chicken, the sort of dish you would get at most chineses take out restaurants. I feel bad for saying that, since its this upper classy italian place, but I can not lie! It tasted like an upscale general tso's in all honesty, that same sweet and sour orange tang, except this had crispy bacon wrapped around it and had a small medium spicy roasted pepper wrapped within. It was delicious! I really enjoyed its presentation as well.
  

For the main dish I was torn. I knew I wanted some gnocchi  but I was not sure if  I wanted the new years special, or the Gnocchi Alfredo & Broccoli Rabe. Since I tried the Alfredo once before I went for the new years special which was Potato Gnocchi Bolognese, House made gnocchi tossed in a traditional  pork, veal, beef and tomato cream sauce; topped with lemon dressed arugula and  ricotta cheese. This melted in my mouth, I loved it! I had some to take home as well, and it reheated wonderfully! I am a fan of rich and creamy sauces. If I had to choose my favorite, I think I still prefer the Gnocchi Alfredo but thats just because I love cheese. I need to learn to make Bolognese at home.


I decided to try a desert, I was stuffed but I was smart and saved some of my main dish for take home. I really wanted the cannoli so I tried the Cannoli Carbone,  sweet lemon & orange scented ricotta between praline cookies with blueberry sauce. This was good, but I was a bit disappointed with it, I cant point out anything wrong with it other then I was hoping for something more traditional. It did have a strong lemon taste and it kind of reminded me of fruity pebbles cereal, partly the taste and maybe the confetti atop of it didn't help with that impression. I would probably not order it again.


In all it was a good night and I liked the food and I do want to go back again soon! As is tradition, when we eat out we almost always stop at Starbucks for a drink. And since we collected about 100 dollars in starbuks gift cards over the holidays from people.. we splurged some more!


Gah! these snowmen sugar cookies were to adorable not to buy, so I got one and saved it for later when I got home.





Candy Recommended - 5 / 5 rating!
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. iCandy - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger